Wednesday 20 May 2020

I See

Blog 25 – 2.6 Challenge – 26 blog posts over 26 days…

Even though I can’t see, I can see. I can see the past so vividly. It astonishes me how clearly I can recollect the past. I don’t just recall the basics like colours, I know details. For example, I can remember certain images and patterns on my clothes. I can picture characters from cartoons, such as Gus from Recess and Tommy from the Rugrats. I can see the shape of Gus’s glasses and how his trousers are too short thus exposing his socks. My mind’s eye can view Tommy’s bald head, the blue of his t-shirt and how he stands with bowed legs. As a child I never consciously stored these images, yet they are there for me to access on demand.

In the present I can see. I imagine my surroundings constantly. When I go for a walk and a car passes me by I give it a make and a colour. When I use a controlled crossing I picture the capital letters of ‘wait’ highlight itself after I have pressed the button. At home in my kitchen I envisage my red appliances; kettle, microwave and toaster. I still look at myself in the mirror. I visualise my reflection, how my hair falls, how my facial features look.

In my dreams I can see. Rarely am I blind and if I am I can still watch the dream play out in pictures. Every night my brain constructs lavish landscapes and intricate scenes. I have the ability to freely access my dream world. I wander around oblivious to my visual impairment.

In reality I cannot see. Wave your hand in front of my face and I will just feel the breeze it creates. Exit a room without a word and I will believe you are still sharing my space. Many people assume that the blind live in darkness. I can confirm that we live in pictures.

I am taking part in the 2.6 Challenge to help save our UK charities. If you enjoyed my blog post or are feeling generous please consider donating as little as £1 to support my chosen charities: The Norrie Disease Foundation, Guide Dogs for the Blind, Look UK, RNIB and Girl Guiding UK. You can find my fundraising page by clicking here

Thank you and stay safe x


No comments: