Saturday 16 May 2020

Accessible Fitness

Blog 21 – 2.6 Challenge – 26 blog posts over 26 days…

Before the pandemic it was a known fact that visually impaired people regularly experienced social isolation. Therefore I find it somewhat surprising that it has taken the entire nation to be socially isolated to prompt accessible homebased activities. Perhaps it existed to a degree and it wasn’t well advertised or utilised. I hope post pandemic charities and businesses will continue the online work they have started.

Staying fit and healthy is something that I feel strongly about. I think everyone should have the opportunity to feel the adrenaline rush that exercise gives you. Since the lockdown I have come across two fantastic resources that I encourage visually impaired people to take advantage of.

First is the British Blind Sport stay in work out face book group. To date the group has 360 members. This immediately tells me that not enough people know about the group. It is a place to talk about sport and share experiences. There are also a host of accessible work out videos from boxercise to strength and tone. Currently each Wednesday they do a live work out that people can access via Zoom. Just search British Blind Sport stay in work out on Face Book and you should find the group.

The second resource is the Look UK You Tube channel. Check out their keep fit videos from yoga to circuits. They also have some other interesting content to browse once you have worked up a sweat. If you are keen on poetry then you might want to get involved with their poetry challenge. Exercising the mind is important too.

I am taking part in the 2.6 Challenge to help save our UK charities. If you enjoyed my blog post or are feeling generous please consider donating as little as £1 to support my chosen charities: The Norrie Disease Foundation, Guide Dogs for the Blind, Look UK, RNIB and Girl Guiding UK. You can find my fundraising page by clicking here

Thank you and stay safe x



No comments: