Tuesday 25 November 2008

Moorfields, Paralympics and Braille

Moorfields:
I WENT TO Moorfields eye Hospital yesterday for my regular check up. There's nothing that can be done for me now, but it's good to check that my eye is still the same bomb site! I did go a couple of months ago and my consultant wasn't there, which was very irritating as to be honest nobody else understands my eye.

I got there and did the usual eye test with the nurse. It's always a good start when I can see the super powerful torch light that' blinds me! They never go on and test if I can see hand movement though, which I just don't know if I can!

Mr Alewood seemed pleased to see me and immediately started going on about Zack who produced a documentary I featured in last year. Part of the documentary showed me having my final eye operation. Anyway, apparently Zack had made a new doc that was on last week. I was asked how my eye was and I mentioned the slight photophobia I've been having.

Did the usual look up, down, left and right. Measured the pressure, which I forgot to ask what it was and then I was surprised with what he said. 'Well your eye is better, as there was some detachment before'. My eye better?! That never happens! Why has it taken my eye so damn long to learn how to reattach my retina. That would have been useful a few years ago and saved me loads of operations!

Anyway, I can't say I've noticed an improvement in my vision, but I have good days where I can tell the difference between black and white, see the painted lines on the road and on a really good day I think I can see colours. He also mentioned that I had some inflammation that might be causing the photophobia. So I've been given eye drops to put in twice a day. My mum's immediate reaction was that I need to try and see if I can read under a CCTV again, but to be honest I very much doubt I will be able to. I go back in 6 months.

Paralympics:
I still haven't heard from them, but I'm quite frustrated as Amear who plays Goalball for GB already got a call to say he's been accepted on to the programme. Found this out as Jack was training with him at the weekend. So I'm guessing I've not been chosen, but they best contact me soon, as I want to know about coaching and where I can progress from here.

Braille:
Remember a while back I wrote to RNIB with my Braille story? Well I got an email from a Caroline White who is a freelance journalist. She's been asked to write a piece for RNIB's New beacon magazine. She said we could do the interview by phone or email, but I said email, as this way I can think through my answers.

No comments: