Sunday 5 October 2008

Stevie Wonder

Last night I went to see Stevie Wonder in concert with Jack, my mum and brother at the NIA in Birmingham. It must have been the longest concert I’ve ever been to, as it lasted two and a half hours with just Stevie Wonder and no support.

The first one and a half hours bored me to death, as he played the piano, harmonica and sang loads of songs that I’d never heard of before. At 10pm when I thought the show was coming to a climax it was like the show had just started! He sang most of his classics including: Isn’t She Lovely, I Just Called to Say I Love You, Signed, Sealed Delivered and Superstition.

I can’t deny that he doesn’t have an amazing voice, as he seems to be able to really show it off in every song very naturally. He interacted with the audience a fair bit getting them to repeat words and raps.

The highlight of the show for me was when he referred to his blindness, which was towards the end. I’m probably quite sad to say that, but it was nice to see him acknowledge his disability. He made it humorous by explaining that he was trying to flirt with a female. His chat up line was ‘what I can’t see can I touch?’ I’m liking that saying. He did a short rap with the lyrics ‘what I can’t see can I touch, just close my eyes, what I can’t see can I touch, act like a blind man’.

No comments: