Thursday 30 April 2020

RNIB

Blog 5 – 2.6 Challenge – 26 blog posts over 26 days…

The penultimate charity I have chosen to support is RNIB. The giant of sight loss charities in the UK.

Ordinarily I would never consider fundraising for RNIB. As mentioned they are a supersize charity so it is easy to believe that they don’t struggle for funds. However, no charity is immune from the pandemic. Being a large charity they provide a vast number of services for blind and partially sighted people. There is a joke within the visually impaired community that RNIB stands for Really Not Interested in Blind people. Yet I think every visually impaired person has accessed an RNIB service at some point and we do so quite casually. We take RNIB for granted.

RNIB has a dedicated helpline and offers advice on sight loss, benefits, technology, generally anything sight loss related. They have a useful online shop with various blind friendly products. They campaign for visually impaired people’s rights. They run a radio station. Basically they do anything and everything.

My favourite RNIB service is their library. I used to loan books out in Braille, but now I prefer to download audio books from them instead. Reading is a passion of mine. I enjoy chick lit, thrillers, fantasy, dystopia, young adult and real life stories. My taste is pretty broad. Thanks to RNIB’s library I am able to lose myself in another world.

Please consider donating as little as £1 to help save our UK charities. You can find my fundraising page by clicking here

Thank you and stay safe x


No comments: