Tuesday 28 April 2020

Guide Dogs

Blog 3 – 2.6 Challenge – 26 blog posts over 26 days…

The second charity I have chosen to fundraise for is Guide Dogs. I guess it is a fairly obvious charity for me to support since I am the proud owner of my retired Guide Dog Calvin and new Guide Dog Riley. It is a cliché to write, but they are real life changers. I love nothing more than striding through the streets with not a care in the world, something that wouldn’t be possible without a Guide Dog by my side. A Guide Dog provides a level of independence that otherwise couldn’t be achieved by other means. They offer freedom.

For both boys I had to wait for nearly 2 years on the waiting list. Thankfully Calvin was a superstar and worked beyond his 11th birthday meaning I wasn’t left without a guide at any point whilst I waited for Riley to take over the reins. I count myself even luckier that Riley and I managed to get trained up and qualified before the pandemic.

Others however are not as fortunate as me. I have friends that have been waiting for a replacement Guide Dog for over 2 years and on top of that have no Guide Dog at present. With the situation we find ourselves in their wait time is going to be significantly increased as all Guide Dog training has stopped and all dogs are with temporary boarders.

Waiting times were already too long. The charity was already stretched. Please consider donating as little as £1 to help save our UK charities. You can find my fundraising page by clicking here

Thank you and stay safe x

No comments: