Tuesday 21 June 2011

Baby Steps

Since the last time I blogged I have had two competitions. Another Charnwood Open and a Parallel Success event (the important one for qualification). I can take good and bad from both of them.

The first I only did 100m, as I’m officially allergic to 200m after my -8.1 head wind encounter! I managed 15.29secs, which is an official season’s best performance, just 0.07secs off of my PB.

The Parallel Success event was part of the Welsh Champs and took place in Cardiff. I first did the long jump in the pouring rain, which I had no motivation for and on my final jump managed 2.87m, an increase of 9cm on my PB. I was slightly worried at one point, as I jumped 2.74m three attempts running, consistent, but frustrating! I needed to jump over 2.93m to move up a rank in the world, so was a little disappointed not to achieve that. On the bright side I’m heading in the right direction towards that 3.30m and it was only my second attempt.

The 100m didn’t really go to plan, as I had an awful start, followed by my inability to run in a straight line. I don’t know what it is with me lately, but I just can’t go straight! The minus wind didn’t help matters either, I’m not sure what it was, but other races varied from -2 to -4.5. Due to the bad start I was chasing all of the way and if it was a 101m race I would have won! I lost by 0.01secs, note to self, I need to learn how to dip or stick my chest out! The time came out as 15.90secs, I was just glad it was under 16secs.

Positives-
1. I ran a season’s best
2. I got a PB in the long jump
3. I didn’t tighten up when I was losing
4. I felt strong despite the minus wind
5. In better conditions I would have jumped further
I’m next racing for Charnwood on 3 July, can’t believe they have asked me to run for the club, they really must be desperate!

I’m not there yet, but I’m closer than I was yesterday!

No comments: