Monday 24 January 2011

Hurdler Not Sprinter

I was at training the other night and one of my team mates was trying to practice the hurdles before a race at the weekend. It didn’t matter how hard he tried, I kept hearing the first hurdle tumbling to the ground. When he did actually get over the first, he was only faced with more. Despite being determined and having cleared hurdles hundreds of times before, it just wasn’t enough.

This reminded me of life in general. It’s just one hurdle after another and sometimes it doesn’t matter how determined you are and how many other barriers you’ve overcome there will always be one more.

So to my latest barrier. No guide runner again. This barrier keeps coming back to haunt me, bigger and stronger than before. Unfortunately, through no fault of her own, my current guide has to give it up for health reasons. I can’t even begin to imagine how she must be feeling, as athletics is her everything. At least for me all I have to do is find a new guide and I’ll be off again.

I’m trying to stay calm about this situation. It is far from ideal and over the past few days I’ve been watching the IPC Athletics World Championships in New Zeeland, wishing I was there. Those athletes are living my dream and 2012 is just around the corner. But what can you do? Some things are just out of your control. I don’t know how long it will take me to jump this hurdle, but fingers crossed it won’t be too long and I’ll be ready to face the next challenge ahead of me.

4 comments:

Jen said...

My friends girlfriend is at the championships. Haven't been keeping an eye on how she's doing but he says she's enjoying it anyway.

These hurdles seem like a pain at the time but something usually works out.
Jen

Selina Litt said...

Let me guess Sally Brown is his girlfriend? She's the only Northern Irish girl I know. If so she won bronze over 200m.

Jen said...

No. I'm from the republic of Ireland, even though my accent sounds like a Northern one (not sure if you've ever heard me talk.) Anyway she's from Dublin.

Selina Litt said...

I thought you were border line or I might be making that up! Can't say i've been following the Irish team.