Monday 12 September 2011

Paralympic Tickets

Last Friday tickets for the London 2012 Paralympic Games went on sale and applications will remain open until Monday 26 September at 6pm. I found viewing the official timetable very surreal. For example, on Tuesday 4 September 2012 I could either be living my dream in the T11 100m heats or sitting in the stands kicking myself for not working hard enough, although I’m 100% certain I would have done everything possible to make my ambition a reality. Likewise, on Friday 7 September 2012, I don’t want to be wishing I was competing in the F11/12 long jump; I want to be doing it! I’m being more realistic about my chances of qualifying for the 200m, as I need to slash 2 seconds just for the B standard. What I did find interesting about the timetable, is that the visually impaired categories seem to be one of the hardest, as they have heats, semi finals and finals. Some classifications may just have a straight final, most likely because the event is still developing.

So, I will be applying for tickets for the above dates, in the hope my family can watch a miracle unfold! At times I find it challenging to keep my passion, determination and focus, as when people rightly ask ‘have you qualified for the games?’ I have to say no, but then feel like I’m defending myself when explaining I’m close. I am also a nobody in terms of the amount of top Paralympic athletes Great Britain and Northern Ireland have. Therefore, you’re unlikely to see me in the media like many other athletes, but I was given the opportunity to appear in my local paper. It was a comprehensive telephone interview, yet I only got two lines and was misquoted at that. Saying that I’m grateful to be recognised nonetheless. You can view the article here: Paralympic Leicester Mercury Article 09/09/2011

At the foot of the article there is a link to the official Paralympic ticketing website. Prices for tickets start at just £10, which include a day travel pass for London. Both my events can be purchased at this incredibly reasonable fee and if you have as much confidence as I do in myself, I urge you to apply. Hell, I urge you to apply anyway, as I promise it will be an amazing showcase of Paralympic talent, grit and determination!

When you feel like you’re at the end of the rope, tie a knot and hang on!

1 comment:

Niamh Anne King said...

I really do hope your dream comes true Selina!