Saturday 9 April 2016

Gold Coast 2018

The Gold Coast will hold the next Commonwealth Games in 2018. Yesterday I was saddened to learn that there will be no Women’s T11/12 100m this time and in fact no female visually impaired athletics events at all. The Games boast that they will have more para-events than ever before with some classifications having an increased number of events they can participate in, which is great news for them. However, other classifications have been excluded altogether. Only a select number of para-events are included in the main competition and I guess in one respect I was very lucky to have had the opportunity to compete at the last Commonwealths in Glasgow. Nevertheless, on the eve of my 2016 outdoor season, I can’t help feeling disappointed. The Commonwealths was an amazing experience and one that I would have liked to have repeated. Not only for the enjoyment, but to see if I could have improved on my previous performance.

Looking ahead now, my focus has to be on the European Championships. Perhaps not for this year as selection is on Monday 16 May, which is very soon and leaves little opportunity for me to qualify. The next Europeans will be in 2018. I need to have two strong seasons prior to the championships to prove my capability. I have had the chance to represent England, but I have always dreamed of representing Great Britain too.

So far this year I have had a couple of promising run outs over 60m indoors. Tomorrow will be the earliest I have ever started my outdoor season. This provides plenty of races to look forward to between now and August. The main aim this year is to PB since I haven’t managed to do so since 2013. I have had a full winter, receiving regular treatment and I am feeling positive that this year will be one of progression.

No comments: