Wednesday 17 June 2015

It's Been A While

It’s been a while since I blogged and I’m writing more for myself, as when I look back in a few years time, I won’t remember what happened in the first half of 2015.

Life has felt so busy, mostly in a good way. I’ve been living independently in my new home for nearly 6 months now and love it. It feels so right. I was never unhappy living with my parents, but I think moving out was one of the best life decisions I have ever made. Money is tight these days, food, gas, electricity, council tax, TV license, broadband, house insurance and of course the mortgage all add up. Nevertheless, I often reflect how nice my house is and how ideal the location is. I can walk back to my parents in 50mins, it takes 25mins to get to my local train station and Fosse Shopping Park is only a mile away. I’m also very excited, as next to Fosse Shopping Park there is going to be a new retail park called Castle Acres featuring 26 shops and restaurants. I get to live in a village and still be surrounded by so many amenities. Of course I wouldn’t be able to get anywhere without Calvin and I’m not sure my living experience would be as enjoyable without him. The loneliness would have definitely kicked in if my Monster Munch wasn’t around to entertain me. Though I do wish that Calvin could do the washing up!

I say money has been tight, but I have tried to remain social. I think since I last blogged I’ve seen Blue and S club 7 in concert, Dirty Dancing and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time at the theatre and won a second silver medal at intermediate level with Nottinghamshire Sheriffs goalball team.

I am also regularly working, both paid and voluntary. I started volunteering at my local Brownies pack in January and go every Friday night, which I absolutely love. Initially, I wanted to volunteer at Guides, as I liked volunteering at secondary school last year, yet when I tried Brownies I never looked back. The girls are all so lovely and of course Calvin is a total hit. The Girl Guiding community itself has been extremely welcoming and supportive. I attended a county training day not long after I started and have started my Leadership qualification. Brownies was fun as a child and it’s just as much fun as an adult.

The last time I was in paid employment was in 2008. Finding a job is one of the most emotional processes. Since April, I have been working at RNIB College Loughborough in the residential side, as a Support Worker and do 2 days per week 4.30-10.30pm. The late finishes have made waking up for training the following day tough, but I only have 2 more weeks before it is the summer holidays.

I am still training hard and it is crazy to think that this time last year I was getting ready for the Commonwealth Games. I haven’t raced yet, as I’m not quite ready, but hope to be competing in the near future. Athletics is a real passion of mine and I would be truly lost without it. However, I know I can’t do it forever. Before I retire, I desperately want the opportunity to represent my country again at a major championships.

Next month I turn 27. OMG! However, before then I am leading an Action for the Blind family day at Conkers, celebrating my other half’s birthday, climbing Mount Snowdon with VICTA, seeing Matilda the musical in the West End and swanning off to Fuerteventura.

Life is for living

No comments: