Saturday 23 August 2008

Olympic Thoughts

Well the Beijing Olympics is finally over, but it was two dramatic weeks of sporting action that left me wanting more. Great Britain were very impressive finishing 4th on the medals table and an all time best performance overall.

Michael Phelps splashed his way to no less than eight gold’s and says he wants more! I’m a terrible swimmer. I can do a few strokes, but I’m soon gasping for breath and panicking that I’ve ended up in the deep end!

Athletics is my fave sport and I watched it very closely. My heart went out to Paula Radcliff who finished 23rd in the marathon, but Mara Yammoochi managed 6th, which was excellent.

On the track Usain Bolt showed everyone up breaking the world records in the 100m and 200m leaving everyone in their blocks and looking amateur. The Jamaican men then went on to win the 4x100m in a new world record too.

We did well to medal in the women’s 400m events with Christine taking the gold on the flat and Tasha winning a bronze in the hurdles.

I was so sure Kelly Southerton could be triumphant, but despite three pbs on the track she did poorly in her field events and came 4th overall in the heptathlon. The silver medallist Blunsker was stripped of her medal, as she was caught doping for a second time.

Philips Idowu had to settle for silver in the triple jump even though he produced a season best and was unbeaten before coming in to the games. Quite gutting for him, but he promises he will be back in 2012.

The highlight had to be the relays! What a farce it was! In the 4x100m heats the GB men and both USA teams managed to get the change over all wrong. Then, in the final favourites Jamaica and GB in the women’s dropped their batons in unison! The Americans dominated in the 4x400m, which made up a little for a disappointing game’s for them on the track. GB managed 5th in the women’s and 4th in the men’s, which was a shame, as I felt they both could’ve meddled.

China did a great job of hosting the games and to make the occasion even more special came top of the medals table too. They do have over 1 billion people there though!

I now look forward to the Paralympics where I hope the GB team can keep up the amazing achievements.

No comments: