Monday 27 April 2020

The Norrie Disease Foundation

Blog 2 – 2.6 Challenge – 26 blog posts over 26 days…

It makes sense to spend the first few blogs explaining why I have chosen to fundraise for each charity. So first up is The Norrie Disease Foundation.

For those who know me will know that I am an Ambassador for the NDF. The genetic condition generally affects males. However, I was the first female in the world to be diagnosed with Norrie Disease. My claim to fame. My older brother and 2 uncles have also been affected by Norrie.

The NDF recently had a major fundraising campaign where we needed to raise a massive £62500 in order to fund vital preventative hearing loss research. Despite being a tiny community, less than 50 people have Norrie Disease in the UK we managed to hit the target. The support I received from family and friends was phenomenal and will never be forgotten.

So you might wonder why am I fundraising for the NDF again? I appreciate friends and family may be reluctant to sponsor me after already making a contribution before. The truth is that it is a charity that is close to my heart. It is such a small charity trying to do enormous things. At a time where the world is in crisis, it is the little charities that are going to suffer the most. For most of my life there was no UK based charity for my condition. No support network. No hope of research or treatment. In 2017 that all changed when The Norrie Disease Foundation launched. It feels cheeky asking for donations again, especially since it wasn’t long since I did so last. Nevertheless, if I don’t then myself and the Norrie community might be left without support once more.

Please consider donating as little as £1 to help save our UK charities. You can find my fundraising page by clicking here

Thank you and stay safe x

No comments: